According to the Healthcare Financial Management Association's "Tip Sheet: Medical Claims Denial Management,” the error rate for CPT coding is 45%-55%.
“Such errors result partly from the sheer volume and intricacy of the coding rules. But practices also too often rely on coding custom rather than coding knowledge.”
- Pamela Moore, PhD, CPC, March 2005, Physicians Practice.
“Elimination of undercoding adds up to 3%-15% of total collections.”
Erstad, T., “Analyzing Computer-based Patient Records: A Review of Literature,” Journal of Healthcare Information Management, vol. 17, no. 4. 2003.
Our coding process results in cleaner claims, fewer denials, improved compliance, and enhanced revenue. Transparency of our coding process gives you 24x7 access to every claim and utilization and case mix review, resulting in coding consistency and significantly reduced risk of errors. You also receive regular update on coding changes and coding-related denial analysis. Certified Affinity Billing coders provide the following coding services:
- CPT, ICD-9, and HCPCS coding across various specialties
- Compliance verification with insurance and governmental regulatory requirements
- Compliance with payer-specific and provider-specific coding requirements
- Periodic coding process audit by senior coding and compliance experts
- Collect and catalogue guidelines, reminders, and tips for billing specific procedures for optimal reimbursement and audit protection
- Find Medicare information for providers and medical billing codes
- Offer detailed explanations, definitions of procedures, clarification of subtle differences, and guidelines to when it is generally best to use a certain CPT code.
- Help with requesting medical details involved in claims disputes.